Thursday, May 26, 2011

No Soup for You! Week Serves Up: Lentil Soup

No Soup for You! week continues with a favorite from my childhood.  I know I received a few requests on Facebook for Cream of Mushroom, but I have actually never made it before (let alone have it available for this week).  However, I have taken note and will make sure to make it sometime soon and blog about it.  I, too, love cream of mushroom soup.  I remember seeing a recipe for it somewhere around here, so it's on my list!  The topic for today, though, is that most humblest of legumes:  the lentil.

Growing up, my mom had a winter routine of making large pots of soup and freezing it for those nights when she was too tired to cook.  One of the staple soups was lentil.  I loved lentil soup as a kid.  I remember other kids my age not caring for it because for some reason I found many kids didn't like beans/legumes.  Weird, I know.  Anyway, my mom always made the best lentil soup.  It was savory and full of chunky vegetables, lots of garlic and the lentils themselves were always cooked to perfection.  I have taken on this same tradition of making large pots of soup in the winter and keeping them for later dinners or even lunches.  Lentil soup has always made me feel warm and comforted.  It's the kind of soup which results in the "warm soup belly" afterward.  It's probably comforting only because I associate it with being a kid in the winter.  It would be cold and dark and stormy outside and my mom would put in front of me a big steamy bowl of lentil soup, topped with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, served with a huge piece of sourdough bread (or garlic bread, depending on the night).  I'd dig in and in no time, my bowl would be empty and I would immediately be warmed from head to foot.

This is a perfect freezing soup, but I point out that when reheating the soup, add a little water.  Unless you want your soup really thick, the lentils soak up all the moisture, even as it's sitting in the fridge or freezer.  Also, the recipe below makes A TON of soup.  If you don't have the room for all the leftovers, or that many mouths to feed, I (and my mom) recommend cutting the recipe in half.  You'll get plenty of soup for dinner that night or week and still have enough to freeze for later!

Lastly, don't feel beholden to the recipe below.  You can pretty much add anything you want to your soup and as long as it has lentils in it, it's still considered lentil soup.  My sister makes a great lentil soup by simply using up all the veggies she has in her fridge.  She also adds sausage to her soup, which I usually don't.  Her lentil soup is still delicious; just as delicious as our mom's, and as mine.  In other words, feel free to make it your own.

Don't miss the exciting conclusion No Soup for You! Week...Butternut Squash Soup--surprisingly elegant and perfect for entertaining!

Lentil Soup
Makes a lot!

4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Sweet Italian Sausages, sliced (optional)
1 Yellow Onion (large), diced
4 Cloves of Garlic, minced
4 Stalks of Celery, diced
2 Carrots (large), diced
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 (28-ounce) Can Whole Tomatoes
2 Bay Leaves
1 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning (the herbal combination, nothing with salt)
8 Cups Chicken Broth
1 Pound of Lentils

1.  Empty the lentils onto a clean surface and check them over.  Remove any split peas or rocks, which may have gotten into the bag.  Rinse in a colander and set aside.
2.  Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.  If using, add the sausage to the pot and sauté until browned.
3.  Add the onions and garlic and sauté for 3 minutes.  Follow with the celery and sauté for another 3 minutes.  Then add the carrots.  Season the vegetables with salt and pepper, to taste.
4.  Place a colander over the pot and empty the can of tomatoes.  While the juice drains into the pot, break up the whole tomatoes by hand, discarding any really tough bits.  Add the broken up tomato pieces into the pot; bring to a boil.
5.  Add the bay leaves and Italian seasoning to the pot.  Then add the broth and bring to a boil.  Add the drained lentils to the pot and bring to a boil again.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the lentils are tender, about 45 minutes.

Recommendations:  My mom suggests adding a dash of Balsamic Vinegar to the pot before serving to add a bit of a punch, or brightness to a rather heavy meal.  I always top my soup with grated cheese and more ground black pepper.
Credit:  My mom, Kathy Cole.

No comments:

Post a Comment