Monday, May 23, 2011

No Soup for You! Week Presents: Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup

My very best photog friend, Nicole, suggested I pick a theme for a week.  Since I watch more TV (or used to, at least) than I would rather like to admit, she thought I could base my themes on TV shows.  So, for this week, I present:  No Soup for You!  For the following week, I will be writing one post per day, focused on a soup recipe.  While my soup is rather tasty, I would not prevent you from tasting it because you didn't order it correctly.  I also am choosing not to hide away the recipes in an old wardrobe.  Do I have any Seinfeld fans out there?  Maybe?  Okay, moving on...

My first stop on this delicious endeavor is a soup I actually found at Whole Foods.  From time to time, I suggest having dinner out at Whole Foods.  They've got so many options that it's like looking into a vast fridge and finding something that will satisfy any craving.  One day, Marshall and I went for lunch and I walked away with a small salad from the salad bar and a cup of soup.  They had a Vegetarian Tuscan Kale and White Bean soup available, which sounded perfect for what I was in the mood for that day.  When I took my first bite, I was underwhelmed.  There was all these veggies in this soup and no flavor whatsoever.  It desperately needed salt, and I'm not a huge salt person.  But I've learned that everything needs at least a little salt.  I sat at that table and thought "I can totally do this better."

And I did.  I actually found their original recipe on their website.  It shocked me that it suggested using lots of canned veggies, rather than fresh.  I understand if they're creating a recipe meant to finish cooking in a short time, but there's really no excuse for using canned carrots...  So, I gave the recipe an overhaul.  I made it distinctly UN-vegetarian (although it can easily be made vegetarian again) by adding some really yummy Italian sausage, using fresh carrots, adding celery, but kept the canned tomatoes (they're honestly the best option for soups and stews).  I, of course, I kept the white beans and kale in place, or else it couldn't still be called "Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup".  I also added a few flourishes:  grated parmesan cheese, a dollop of fresh (well, homemade/frozen) pesto, and homemade croutons.  The end result was an absolutely delicious and fresh vegetable soup for those cold winter days.  I would necessary freeze this particular soup, but honestly - this soup will go fast.

Stay tuned, tomorrow, for another beautiful soup:  Golden Winter Soup.

Tuscan Kale and White Bean Soup
Serves 8 

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Sweet Italian Sausages, sliced (optional)
1 Yellow Onion, chopped
4 Large Garlic Cloves, chopped
3 Carrots, chopped
3 Stalks of Celery, chopped
1 Large Can Diced Tomatoes
1 Can Cannellini or White Kidney Beans
4 Cups Kale, chopped
1 (32-ounce) Low-Sodium Chicken or Vegetable Broth
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Toppings (Optional)
Croutons (recipe to follow)
Grated Parmesan Cheese
Pesto

1.  Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.  If using, add the sausage and cook thoroughly.  Remove from the pot and set aside.
2.  Add the onion to the pot and sauté until almost transparent.  Add the garlic and sauté a minute longer, until fragrant.  Add the carrots and celery and continue sautéing for another 5-7 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3.  Add the tomatoes, beans, and kale and stir.  Pour in the broth and return the Italian sausage to the pot.  Cook until the carrots are tender.  Taste and season with more salt and pepper, as needed.
4.  Ladle into bowls and top with a small spoonful of pesto, a few croutons, and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.  Enjoy!

Croutons
Makes as much as you want

Crusty Italian Bread, cut into 1" cubes
Olive Oil
Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper

1.  Preheat oven to 400F.
2.  On a large rimmed baking sheet, spread the bread cubes into a single layer.  Spray or drizzle with olive oil.  Sprinkle with garlic powder, salt and pepper.  Toss to coat evenly.
3.  Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
4.  Use immediately or store in an air-tight container for up to a week.

1 comment:

  1. omg i'm in love with your soup week!!! esp. since so many are vegetarian friendly :-) thanks for sharing michelle!

    ReplyDelete