Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Reader's Request: Whole-Wheat Flatbreads with Lamb and Yogurt

I'm very fortunate to work for a company that allows me to work from home.  Ever since we all got laptops, my manager has been very understanding of when I want/need to work from home.  She knows that my commute is one of the longer ones from our department and agrees that working one day a week is helpful on my budget (and well-being).  Anyway, over the last year, I've been working from home one day a week and it's been wonderful.  I can do laundry, run errands, and watch TV, while still getting a full day's work done.  I also get the opportunity to see people during the week who I would not normally get to see outside of the weekend.  My bestest friend from high school and photographer extraordinaire, Nicole, stopped by last week.  She had a few things for me and I for her and we also got to sit and chat for a bit.  The conversation eventually turned to talking about food, which is quite common for me, and while sitting in the kitchen we both started to flip through my cookbooks and magazines on the shelf.  We mainly talked about what appetizers I've been asked to make for her upcoming Japan Tsunami/Earthquake Relief party, but she pulled a few other things off the shelf, too, just to have a peek at what recipes I had lying around.

She picked up my little Martha Stewart digest magazine (the same magazine I got this lovely gem) and started flipping through it.  I mentioned how much I loved that little magazine and that I wish Martha would start producing them again.  They're so infrequent, I don't even think she does them anymore.  Anyway, Nicole found the recipe for Whole Wheat Flatbreads with Lamb and Yogurt, immediately turned to me and said "You're cooking this and writing about it in your blog, so I can get the recipe!"  Well, Nicole, your wish is my command!

I remember making this recipe for the first time a long time ago.  I think it was our first year living in our current apartment, so about 2.5 years ago.  This was the first time I attempted a bread of any kind, let alone a whole wheat flatbread, and I think my first foray into something resembling Southeast Mediterranean or even Middle-Eastern.  I just remember making them and being totally pleased.  The warm nutty whole wheat bread, the spicy lamb, the sweet onions, the creamy and tangy yogurt, and the cool mint just plays such a melody in the mouth.  There are so many flavors it's crazy, but they all work together to create a fantastic meal on the plate.  The one thing I was a little disappointed with this time around, was my flatbreads weren't as crispy as they were the first time.  I have a feeling my dough was a little too wet and perhaps too thick and weren't cooking long enough in the pan.  They shouldn't be like crackers, but they should at least be more crisp than chewy.  Overall, though, I was again pleased with this dish.  It's hearty and filling and thoroughly delicious.

Nicole, I hope you and Jesse like this one as much as Marshall and I do!

Note:  The cooking times below are slightly inaccurate, especially if you're cooking with an electric stove, which I do.  I would suggest relying mostly on your nose and your eye to gauge when the food at each stage is done.

Whole-Wheat Flatbreads with Lamb and Yogurt
Serves 8 

Whole Wheat Flatbread Dough (below)
2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
1-1/2 Pounds Ground Lamb
3/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
3/4 teaspoon Ground Coriander
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
3 Garlic Cloves, chopped
1 White Onion (large), thinly sliced lengthwise
3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice

1/2 Cup Pine Nuts, toasted
2 teaspoons Fresh Lemon Zest
1-3/4 Cups Greek Yogurt (regular yogurt would be OK, just strain first)
1 Cup Fresh Mint Leaves, torn

1.  Make dough for flatbreads, as mentioned below.  While it rests, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook lamb, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 7 minutes.  Stir in cumin, coriander, cayenne, and 2 teaspoons salt and cook 1 minute more.  Place lamb in a bowl and cover loosely with foil.
2.  Return skillet to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of oil.  Add garlic and onions and cook until soft and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.  Add lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper; cook until liquid evaporates, about 1 minute.  Add to bowl with lamb mixture and stir in pine nuts.
3.  Clean skillet and return to heat; wipe with a lightly oiled paper towel.  Cook flatbreads, one at a time, until puffy and dark brown in spots, about 1 to 2 minutes per side.  Combine yogurt with lemon zest and 3/4 teaspoon of salt; spread half the yogurt sauce amongst all 8 flatbreads.  Top with lamb mixture and mint; serve with remaining yogurt sauce.

Whole Wheat Flatbread Dough
2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 Cup Olive Oil
2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
3/4 Cup Water

1.  In a large bowl combine the flours, olive oil and salt.  Mix in the water, adding more if necessary, to form a stiff dough.
2.  Turn dough out onto a work surface and knead for 5 minutes.  Place dough ball into a bowl and cover with a damp cloth (preferably a tea-towel, not a terry-cloth towel); let rest for 30 minutes.
3.  Divide dough into 8 balls.  Roll each ball out into 7-inch rounds.  Keep covered with a damp cloth until ready to cook.
Credit:  Stewart, M.  Everyday Food.  September 2009, p. 107.

1 comment: