Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Cure for the Boring Turkey-burger: Danish Chicken Burgers

I knew there was always something I didn't like about cooking with ground turkey.  Turkey has a very unique flavor, compared to other poultry.  It certainly cannot be a substitute for chicken and I definitely cannot substitute anything that was originally made with beef with turkey (like meatloaf, although I do have a post about a turkey meatloaf waiting in the wings).  I just cannot get past the flavor of turkey.  It overpowers everything and definitely is something that must stand alone.  Well, unless you roast it whole, drizzle with giblet gravy, serve it with mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce, then, well, it works (umm, I love Thanksgiving dinner; it's the one time of year that I greatly invite the turkey to my table).  Otherwise, I just don't have an affinity for that particular bird.

I do, however, love chicken.  Yes, I know chicken can be bland and it's become sort of the blank canvas of the table.  You can cook it any which way and serve it with any other food.  On the other hand, I think it may be the most universally cooked protein.  Seriously, find me a culture or country or nation that does not cook chicken!  A few years ago, I think everyone in my family started experimenting with Rachel Ray recipes.  She was big on the Food Network and she really catered to the novice cook.  My husband's first cookbook was Rachel Ray's very first 30 Minute Meals cookbook.  When he lived on his own, he learned to cook on his own, and this cookbook really helped.  Each recipe was easy and the ingredients were readily available at any grocery store.  Plus, each recipe made huge portions, which made cooking for the week a snap.  My mom even picked up a few of her recipes, including this chicken burger recipe.  Before my mom made these, I had never had a chicken burger.  I didn't even know you could buy ground chicken (like ground beef or turkey).  My mom made these one night, while I was still living at home, and they were delicious!  Or, the words of the recipe's creator, YUM-O!

Unlike other burgers that I had eaten or made, they were pan-fried.  This created a delicious caramelized crust on the outside of the burger, plus it helped keep the cheese from oozing out of the burger too much.  Oh?  Did I not mention that the cheese is IN the burger?  Oh yeah, one of my favorite things about this burger is that it's a cheese burger with the cheese built-in.  Okay, I'm starting to sound like Rachel Ray, here, but it can't be helped.  These also can be served with just about anything.  This particular night we had chicken burgers with baked sweet potato fries (not shown due to poor presentation).  I also do not eat these like normal burgers on a bun, but rather with a knife and fork with a little whole grain dijon mustard, like my friend, Maille, here.  The bright vinegary bite of the mustard compliments the savory chicken and melted dill Havarti cheese.

The recipe I provide below is a modified version of the original recipe.  The thing is, her portions for her burgers are ridiculous.  I simply cannot eat a half-pound burger, no matter how delicious.  It's just too much.  Her original recipe calls for 2 pounds of ground chicken for only 4 burgers.  Yeah, I altered that.  However, even though I alter the amount of meat, the rest of the recipe is the same.  The seasonings all work with less meat.  You could easily cut the amount of cheese, considering with less meat there isn't as much space for the little cheesy morsels, but who would consciously use LESS cheese?



Danish Burgers
Serves 4

1 Pound Ground Chicken
1 Tablespoon Poultry Seasoning
2 Shallots, finely chopped
2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
5 White Button Mushrooms, stems removed and finely chopped (don't worry, you don't taste them)
1/4 Pound Havarti Cheese with Dill, cut into 1/4" dice
Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling

1.  Combine ground chicken, poultry seasoning, chopped shallots, mustard, chopped mushrooms, diced Havarti, salt, pepper, and a small drizzle of olive oil (err on the side of sparing,  you don't want too much).  Mix thoroughly (do not OVER mix).
2.  Divide into 4 equal portions (or however many you want to make) and form into 1-inch patties.  I actually season my patties on the outside with a little extra pepper and salt for a touch more flavor.  This is completely optional.  Drizzle or spay olive oil on one side of the patties.
3.  Preheat a non-stick skillet over medium-to-medium-high heat.  Place the patties in the hot skillet (don't crowd the pan, work on stages if necessary) and cook for about 6 minutes per side.
4.  Sever immediately in whatever fashion you fancy.

Note:  Since the Havarti cheese is a softer cheese, it cuts best when it's really cold.  While you're chopping all your other ingredients, throw the cheese into the freezer and chill.  You'll definitely have an easier time cutting and get a better dice in the end.
Adapted from:  Rachel Ray, Danish Burgers with Herb Caper Sauce and a Mod Salad

3 comments:

  1. You suck. Just when I was about to kick the burger habit you post this, and it looks so yummy. Oh well, I'll just get to that next year. =D

    -Eric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously! I at least kicked the habit of ordering them at every restaurant I went to like I did in high school (you'd be surprised at how many restaurants offer a burger) but definitely not kicking them for good :)

    ReplyDelete