Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Meaty Manly Salad: Grilled Sausages with Figs and Mixed Greens

I say this as a woman and without fear of judgment...very rarely will I feel satisfied after eating a salad for a meal.  I usually require something else either on the side WITH my salad or in my salad (i.e. meat or legumes) to really feel full and satiated.  I know this is weird coming from a girl, because it seems all of us are quite OK with eating just a salad.  At least, that's what our movies tell us we order when we're on a date and looking to "keep our girlish figures".  Yes, I see the necessity of eating more vegetables and keeping our portions in check, but that doesn't automatically mean "must eat salad consisting of just lettuce for lunch and dinner".  Blech!  I don't know about you, but I like to eat.  When I'm on a date, or when I would go on dates, I never felt obligated to keep what I ordered in check.  This doesn't mean that I always ordered the surf n' turf on dates, but I would eat like I would normally eat:  burgers, pasta, chicken, steak, whatever I felt like.  If I am to show who I really am when I meet someone, I will eat normally.  I like food; I will show it!  Having said all of that, this is one of those rarest of rare times when I felt satisfied after eating what was essentially a salad.

During the grilling season, which in California is pretty much any time during the year as long as the grill area is covered, I love grilled Italian sausages.  One of my favorite Italian deli selections is a sausage and pepper sandwich, especially if the sausages are grilled.  There's something about the pork, fennel seed, and all the Italian seasonings licked with gas or grill flame that really makes me happy.  This particular salad marries a number of Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flavors together and creates just a great meaty dinner salad.  The slices of warm and salty sausage mingle with the sweet figs, coupled with the crunch of the greens and the creaminess of the goat cheese just right.  Throughout each bite you get the cooling mint and the bite of the dressing, mixed in with all these other flavors.  You'd think this would be overwhelming, but it isn't.  It actually feels right and is perfect for a quick light meal and is great during the summer when you can grill freely and get some wonderfully fresh greens and herbs.

Grilled Sausages with Figs and Mixed Greens
Serves 4 

4 Fresh Lamb Sausages, Spicy Italian Sausages, or Garlic Sausages
1 Red Onion, small-sized, sliced into 1/2" slices
10 Tablespoons Pomegranate-Cumin Dressing (recipe below), divided
12 Cups Mixed Greens
3/4 Cup Crumbled Soft Fresh Goat Cheese
6 Fresh Figs, halved (Dried is fine, if you can't find fresh)
1/4 Cup (packed) Fresh Mint Leaves, sliced

1.  Prepare grill (medium-high heat).  Bruce sausages and onion slices with 3 tablespoons of dressing.
2.  Grill onions until charred, about 10 minutes (flipping halfway through).  Grill sausages until cooked, about 15 minutes.
3.  Toss greens with remaining dressing; divide onto 4 plates (if desired).  Slice the sausages.
4.  Top greens with the sausages, onions, fig, cheese, and mint.
(Credit:  Bon Appetit, August 2010, p. 61)


Pomegranate-Cumin Dressing
Makes 1 Cup

7-1/2 Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
4-1/2 Tablespoons White Balsamic Vinegar (Plain balsamic is fine)
3 Tablespoons Fresh Mint Leaves, sliced
1-1/2 Tablespoons Pomegranate Molasses**
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
6 Tablespoons Shallots, minced

**If you cannot find Pomegranate Molasses, you can make your own by boiling 1 cup pomegranate juice until reduced to 3 tablespoons syrup, which takes about 15 minutes.

Whisk first 5 ingredients in a bowl.  Mix in shallots and season with salt and pepper to taste.
(Credit:  Bon Appetit, August 2010, p. 61)

No comments:

Post a Comment