Saturday, April 10, 2010

Christening the Slow Cooker - Tangy Spiced Brisket

One thing that surprised me, and possibly Marshall too, was getting all the gifts we got for our wedding.  I, at least, wasn't expecting to get nearly as much as we ended up receiving.  It just amazed me how generous people can be.  One of the items we registered for, and received, was a slow cooker (thanks, Sar!).  It's funny how something that was such a big hit 30 years ago could make such a come-back.  There are a ton of cookbooks out there dedicated just for slow cookers.  I had heard of the many wonders which can be made in a slow cooker and how easy it can be.  I knew I had to get my hands on one. 


I finally found a recipe worthy enough for christening our slow cooker:  Tangy Spiced Brisket (courtesy of Smitten Kitchen, a great food blog).  I had never made brisket myself before.  I've certainly eaten it, that's for sure, but never made it from scratch.  My friend, Paul, told me I was tempting fate for attempting brisket this close to Passover; even going so far as to calling me a shiksa.  I pressed on, though, and Marshall and I were rewarded with a great tasting meal of tender pull-apart meat covered in a mildly spicy and tangy sauce.  Traditionally, you'd serve this over a bed of egg noodles, but we went with whipped potatoes, instead.  I like egg noodles, but I simply love potatoes in all its various forms.  It was simply delicious and something I will certainly keep in my repertoire.

The recipe that follows is a slight adaptation from the original (which was apparently an adaptation to begin with).  The only differences between the recipe below and where I got it, is that it's been halved.  There was simply no way I was going to make 10-pounds worth of brisket for just the two of us!

P.S.  Yes, that's broccoli on the plate.  I happen to LOVE broccoli.  I could eat it all day every day.  Honestly, I'll put it on the side of anything.

P.P.S  Marshall gives it his bite of approval!



Tangy Spiced Brisket
1-1/2 Large Onions, sliced
1-1/2 Tbs Vegetable Oil
3 Garlic Cloves, peeled and halved
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 tsp Garlic Powder
3/4 tsp Black Pepper
3/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Cayenne
1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Dried Thyme
1/2 Cups Beef Stock (try for low or unsalted)
1/2 Cup Ketchup
1/2 Cup Chili Sauce (I used Sriracha)
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
4 to 5lb Brisket

Prepare the sauce: Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and sauté onions in vegetable oil, stirring occasionally, until caramelized and most of liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Add halved garlic cloves and saute for 3 minutes more. Stir in spices and seasoning (paprika, salt, garlic and onion powders, black pepper, cayenne, oregano and thyme) and cook for 2 minutes. Set aside.

In a large bowl, stir together the beef stock, ketchup, chili sauce and brown sugar. Don’t worry if your brown sugar is lumpy (mine always is), the acidity of the ingredients will quickly break it down.

If baking in oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place brisket in a baking dish or casserole, spread onion mixture over the top, then pour sauce mixture over the entire dish. Cover tightly with foil bake until very tender but not falling apart, about 3 to 4 hours.

If making in a slow cooker (which I highly, highly recommend): Place brisket in a slow cooker, spread onion mixture over the top, then pour sauce mixture over the entire dish. Cover with the lid and cook it on LOW for 10 hours. (I like to start it before I go to bed, and process it in the morning to rest over the course of the day in the fridge.)

For both methods, rest the dish: When the brisket is cooked but still hot, use a spoon to scrape off any large fat deposits adhered to the top and bottom of the brisket.  This part is easiest to do when hot.  Don't worry, the sauce will be de-fatted after it has chilled.

If you’re using a slow cooker, transfer the brisket and all of its sauce to a baking dish. If you’ve baked it in the oven, you can continue in that same dish.

Chill entire dish in the fridge for several hours and up to one day; this resting time will significantly enhance the flavor and texture of the meat.

An hour before you’re ready to serve it: Preheat your oven to 300°F, and remove the dish from the fridge. Remove all of the fat that has solidified with a slotted spoon for a less oily finish.
Carefully remove the meat from its sauce and place on a large cutting board. Cut the brisket into 1/2-inch slices.

If you like a smoother sauce, this is a good time to run it through a blender or literally just smash up the onion and garlic strands with a wooden spoon. They’ll be so soft, that’s all it takes.

Carefully place the sliced meat back into the sauce and spoon the sauce over the meat. Replace the lid or cover the dish tightly with foil and reheat in the oven until it is bubbling at the edges — this usually takes up to to 30 minutes.

bon appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Looks good! We love our slow cooker in the winter, its the perfect way to make a great meal with almost no effort!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Story about the broccoli. When Marshall & Chris were little, we had a nanny who cooked dinner every night (I miss her so much!) Anyway, we had broccoli almost every night and the kids always ate it up. Love you blog, L&K, Mom-in-law.

    ReplyDelete