Sunday, August 5, 2012

Hello Dal-ly, Take Two: Curried Red Onion Jam with Simple Dal

I know it wasn't too long ago that I posted a delicious dal recipe. This particular post isn't necessarily going to focus on the dal, but rather on the condiment which elevates this simple dal into something incredible. You'll recall from my last post that I'm rather enamored with a new cookbook. It shouldn't surprise then that this recipe comes from the same book. While the onion is called "red", it certainly doesn't look RED like other truly red fruits and vegetables. Instead, the author quite rightly puts the red onion in the purple chapter. Yes, a look at a color wheel would show that the connection between red and purple is only a small amount of blue away, but it's still purple. Okay, how did we get on the topic of color? When I set about to make this condiment, I had no idea how much flavor a red onion could have. I have a slight issue with onions. Raw onions tend to not have the best affect on me; they leave me tasting onions for days afterward and my stomach is certainly far from happy. Cooked onions are better for me, but I tend to keep my distance from too much onion regardless. But this jam? Oh my... it's sweet, tangy, spicy, and, well, jammy. It's super simple to make and even though I made mine the night before making the dal, they can both be made at the same time and in about an hour. So, while it's certainly not a 30-minute meal, it can be done after coming  home from work. I have a feeling this jam would also make a great gift. Snag a couple of small jars and a few pieces of decorative fabric/cloth and you've got a gift for just about anyone. Cheryl, the author of Ripe, mentions you can use the leftover jam for sandwiches and I'm eager to give it a try. I figure some roasted chicken, mayo, and some spinach with plenty of this jam would make a kind of curried chicken salad sandwich. You could also use it in a pita with hummus and crunchy veggies for a flavor-packed vegetarian option. Either way, this jam can be an excellent condiment for just about anything in need of kick.

I did want to touch upon the simple dal. It really is very simple. I could barely believe just how simple it was to cook and yet so incredibly flavorful, creamy, and rich it came out to be. I'd never cooked with red lentils before, so this was a first. I think the last dal I made, using lentils of course, used the regular brown/green lentils (I think...it was a while ago). The red lentils don't retain their shape like French black lentils do, but instead break down into this super rich creaminess. The aromatics in this recipe also stand out. I mean, this dal only calls for lentils, water, star anise, ginger, and a chili pepper (I used jalapeno since I couldn't find a red chili at the store). Since it's only 1 chili, there isn't a whole lot of spice, but ginger makes up for the lack of heat. The star anise provides this sweetness and underlying tone, which I'd never noticed in other dal I've had. Honestly, this is probably the simplest recipe I'll ever post here.

I got a request from a friend to post more vegetarian-friendly recipes. I have another vegetarian dish, which I'll post next. I honestly love cooking vegetarian. Not only does it tend to be simpler to make, but it's also a lot lighter on the wallet. The times when I've spent the most at the grocery store have usually been when I had a lot of meat on the week's menu. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't think I could ever turn completely vegetarian. I love fish, chicken, pork, and beef way too much to give it all up. I pride myself on being an omnivore and am lucky to have a husband who doesn't have to have meat on his dinner plate every night.

Curried Red Onion Jam with Simple Dal
Serves 4 to 6


2 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
3 medium-sized Red Onions, diced
Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1/3 Cup (packed) Dark Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
1/4 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Cups Red Lentils, picked through and rinsed
2 Tablespoons Fresh Ginger, minced
1/2 to 1 whole Small Red Chili Pepper, seeded (if desired) and minced
2 Star Anise pods

1. Set the butter and oil in a large skillet over medium heat. add the onions, 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until softened and translucent, about 10 minutes.
2. Stir in the brown sugar, curry powder, and vinegar. Let bubble for a few seconds, then reduce heat to low. Cook until thick and jammy, about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, set the lentils, ginger, chili, star anise, and 6-3/4 Cups (or 1.5 liters) cold water in a medium saucepan (I used a Dutch oven), and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a gentle simmer and cook, uncovered, about 30-40 minutes, until thick, loose, and porridge-like, stirring occasionally. At about halfway through cooking, add 1-1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt and 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Adjust seasoning to taste once finished and discard the star anise pods.
4. Divide the dal into bowls. Spoon a generous scoop of red onion jam on top, reheating the jam if necessary.
Note: I followed the tip for serving this over brown rice.
Credit: Rule, C. Ripe: A Fresh, Colorful Approach to Fruits and Vegetables (2011), p. 266.

No comments:

Post a Comment