Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Monochromatic Deliciousness: Orecchiette with Cauliflower, Anchovies, and Fried Croutons

I was never a big fan of cauliflower.  It was always displayed sadly next to the rest of the cut-up vegetables with ranch dressing at potlucks.  No one ever touched it either, which didn't endear me to the little white florets.  Plus, when I did try it, it had no flavor whatsoever.  I stayed far away from cauliflower until a few years ago.  My mom and I decided to share a CSA (Community-Supported Agriculture) box one summer.  I enjoyed the fresh vegetables and fruits, but was at a loss when I kept getting head after head of cauliflower.  I would stare at them wondering just what to do.  Luckily, this particular CSA group (Two Small Farms) included a weekly newsletter with their boxes, including a musing on the vegetables and fruit in season and recipes using that week's veggies.  Luckily for me, one week found a recipe for cauliflower.  It was very simple:  oven-roasted cauliflower florets and garlic, sprinkled with fresh lemon juice.  I made it with a slight hint of apprehension, but was greeted with the best tasting vegetable I had ever had.  The florets were browned slightly and had a very slight sweetness.  It was so good that I changed my mind about cauliflower from then on.  I was happy to use it in soups and stews and roasted sides.  However, I still will not tough the stale little white florets on store-bought veggie trays.

This brings me to a great recipe I found in Bon Appetit early last year which coupled my new favorite, cauliflower, and a very old favorite, pasta and croutons.  Originally, I was apprehensive, only because of the lack of color.  White on white on white?  It seemed rather monochromatic and I really like to vary the color of food on my plate.  But this was pasta with roasted cauliflower and zucchini:  how bad could it be?  Well, it turned out to be as far from bad as possible.  Marshall and I were surprised at how the cauliflower and zucchini mingled with the salty anchovy and tender pasta.  Plus, every so often, the texture is broken up by the crunchy friend croutons.  It's a very comforting dish; it warms the soul.  In fact, if I might be honest, I made this dish again tonight.  I will definitely keep making this dish whenever I want a thoroughly tasty pasta dish!


Orecchiette with Cauliflower, Anchovies, and Fried Croutons
Serves 6-8

1 Head of Cauliflower (large-sized), cut into 1-inch florets
8 Tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
1 Pound Orecchiette (or other medium-sized shell pasta)
1-1/2 Cups Crusty Country-Style Bread, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
3 Zucchini (medium-sized), trimmed and cut into 1/3-inch cubes (about 3 Cups)
3 Garlic Cloves (large-sized), chopped
7 Anchovy Fillets, finely chopped
1/2 Cup Fresh Italian Parsley, chopped and divided
1/3 Cup (packed) Parmesan Cheese, grated
2 Tablespoons Pecorino Romano Cheese, grated

1.  Preheat oven to 425F.  Toss cauliflower florets with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large bowl to coat.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread in a single layer on a large rimmed baking sheet.  Roast until cauliflower florets are tender and beginning to brown in spots, stirring occasionally, about 20-25 minutes.  Cool to room temperature.  This can be done 1 day ahead; cover and chill.
2.  Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling generously-salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.  Reserve 1-1/3 cups pasta water; drain pasta.  Set pasta and cooking liquid aside separately.
3.  Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large deep nonstick skillet or large pot over medium-high heat.  Add bread cubes and sauté until golden brown and crisp, about 3-4 minutes.  Transfer to small bowl and cool.  Reserve skillet or pot.
4.  Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to same skillet or pot and heat over medium-high heat.  Add zucchini and garlic and sauté until zucchini is golden brown and crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes.  Add cauliflower and anchovies and sauté until heated through, another 3-4 minutes.  Season to taste with salt and freshly-ground black pepper.  Add drained pasta, reserved 1-1/3 cups pasta water, remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/3 cup parsley, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, and Pecorino Romano cheese and toss to coat.  Season pasta with salt and pepper to taste.
5.  Divide pasta among 6-8 bowls; sprinkle with fried croutons, remaining parsley, and additional Parmesan cheese and serve.
Credit:  Bon Appetit, May 2010, p. 94.

2 comments: