Wednesday, June 16, 2010

¡Que Sabor! - Grilled Baja-Style Fish Tacos

Before I say anything else, I want to get this out there:  I love fish...but I'm afraid of it.  The problem comes from not being familiar and comfortable with preparing fish.  I've been on the wrong end of bad fish before and it is NOT pretty.  I would hate to do that to Marshall or myself or any guests for whom I cook.  I'm comfortable with chicken and lamb.  I've gotten continuously comfortable with red meat (I used to hate the blood-factor).  I just never worked on strengthening my relationship with fish.  Of course, it all comes from how you were raised, right?  Unfortunately, we never got to eat a lot of fish when I was growing up.  My dad is deathly allergic to all types of fish.  He'll even start coughing if there's even the smell of fish.  When he was little, his parents fed him fish, unaware of his allergy, and he ended up in the hospital not being able to breathe.  Since then, he's steered clear of fish as much as possible.  This meant, of course, that my mom and I couldn't cook fish for dinner.  We did, however, take advantage of the nights my dad worked late or when he volunteered at my elementary school's weekly bingo night.  My mom and I would pop over to the store, pick up some fish and cook it up.  Normally it was marinated catfish, which was easy to throw in a fry pan.  I remember eating salmon a few times, but nothing really elaborate.  Since then, my repertoire has been skimpy on the fish.  Marshall and I try to eat healthily and what's more healthy than fish, right?  I've worked hard to get over my squeamishness over fish.  I'm learning more and more with every dish I make.  I've gotten to the point where I'm consciously searching for new fish recipes to add to our menu each week.

A few weeks ago, I found a recipe for one of my favorite things:  fish tacos.  They're so easy, but so easy to screw up.  I definitely do not care for fried fish tacos; I really like grilled fish.  Thanks to my trusty friend in the kitchen, Cooks Illustrated (I really should just bite the bullet and order a subscription already!), I found a great recipe for Baja-style Fish Tacos.  The recipe overall was easy and prepared not only the fish, but also a spicy spread and cabbage salad to garnish.  The page also showed a recipe for a Mexican-Style Marinated Tomato Salad.  Sure, it was just the salad version of guacamole, but it was really delicious and paired well with the tacos.  Plus, it photographs really well!  Both dishes were delicious and perfect for the warm weather.

The recipe also called for mahi-mahi, but unfortunately the fishmonger I frequent did not have any when I went shopping.  Luckily, the recipe provided some helpful replacements, if mahi-mahi could not be found.  I love when recipes provide options for main ingredients.  Since I'm unfamiliar with fish, I don't really know what substitutes can be made.  It's not like picking out substitutions for cuts of beef or chicken.  Each fish has its own distinct flavor and texture, which play well with different flavors and cooking methods.  One of the fish they suggested was red snapper, which my fishmonger had, so I used that.  The recipe also suggests using halibut or swordfish, as well, in case mahi-mahi and red snapper cannot be found.  Just be careful of the swordfish, since high levels of mercury is found in swordfish.  A helpful link is Seafood Watch, which is prepared and constantly updated by the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  Seafood Watch provides helpful suggestions and tips for which fish to buy at certain times throughout the year, as well as whether or not to buy farmed or fresh and how the fish is caught.  Normally, fresh-caught fish is best, but the sticky bit is how it's caught.


Grilled Baja-Style Fish Tacos
Serves 4

1/2 Medium Head of Cabbage, shredded (about 4 Cups)
1/4 Cup + 1 Tbs. Fresh Cilantro, chopped
3 Scallions, sliced thin
2 Tbs. Cider Vinegar
1 Tbs. Vegetable Oil, plus more for the cooking grate
Kosher salt
3/4 Cup of Mayonnaise
1-3 tsp. Chipotle Chiles in Adobo Sauce (use more or less, depending on how spicy you want)
1 Tbs. Lime Juice, freshly squeezed
1-2 Garlic Cloves, minced or pressed (about 1 tsp.)
Ground Black Pepper
2 tsp. Chili Powder
1/2 tsp. Ground Coriander
1/4 tsp. Ground Cumin
4 (6-ounce) Mahi-Mahi Fillets, skinless, about 1 inch thick (thinner fish will have a shorter cooking time)
Corn Tortillas (I highly recommend the Hand-made Corn Tortillas at Trader Joe's - they are the BEST!)

1.  Toss cabbage, 1/4 cup cilantro, scallions, vinegar, 1 teaspoon of oil and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl and set aside for serving.  In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, remaining 1 tablespoon of cilantro, chiles, lime juice, and garlic, season with salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
2.  Combine chili powder, coriander, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper in a bowl.  Pat fish fillets dry with paper towels, rub with remaining 2 teaspoons of oil, then rub evenly with spice mixture.  Lay fish on wire rack set over baking sheet, and refrigerate until grill is ready.
3a.  For charcoal grill:  Light large chimney starter filled with charcoal (about 100 briquettes) and burn until coals are partially covered with thin layer of ash, about 20 minutes.  Build single-level fire by arranging coals evening over grill.  Position cooking grate over coals, cover grill, and heat grate until hot, about 5 minutes.  Scrape grate clean with grill brush.
3b.  For gas grill:  Turn all burners to high and heat grill with lid down until hot, about 15 minutes.  Scrape grate clean with grill brush.  Remember to cook fish with the lid down.
4.  Lightly dip wad of paper towels in vegetable oil; holding wad with tongs, wipe cooking grate.  Lay fish on grill, perpendicular to bars of cooking grate.  cook until fish is opaque and flakes apart when gently prodded with pairing knife, 10-14 minutes, gently flipping fish halfway through.  Transfer fish to platter, tent loosely with foil, and let rest 5 minutes.
5.  Working in batches, place several tortillas in single layer on grill and cook until warm, about 10 seconds per side.  Wrap tortillas in kitchen towel or large sheet of foil.  A plastic bag works well, too.
6.  Cut each fillet into 3 equal pieces.  Smear each warmed tortilla with portion of mayonnaise mixture, top with cabbage and fish, and serve.
Cook's Illustrated:  Summer Grilling, 2010, pg. 19.

Marinated Tomato Salad with Jalapeño and Queso Blanco
Serves 4

1-1/2 lbs. Tomatoes, cored and sliced into 1/2-inch wedges
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
2 Tbs. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
1 Tbs. Lime Juice, freshly squeezed
1-2 Garlic Cloves, minced or pressed
1 Jalapeño Chile, seeded and chopped fine
1 Avocado, pitted, skinned and chopped
1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. Black Pepper, freshly ground
1/4 Cup Queso Blanco, crumbled

1.  Toss tomatoes and salt in a large bowl, transfer to a paper towel lined baking sheet.  Let drain for 15 minutes.
2.  Return drained tomatoes to large bowl and toss with oil, lime juice, garlic, jalapeño, avocado, cilantro and pepper.  Let marinate 15 minutes.  Sprinkle cheese over salad.  Serve.
Cook's Illustrated:  Summer Grilling, 2010, pg. 19.


bon appetit!

2 comments:

  1. 5 stars. These are simply the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wicked good dear...Had it with the Mojito's, got that recipe off the bacardi bottle came with a muddler.

    ReplyDelete