Monday, May 24, 2010

Carbo-Loading (2 of 2): Penne with Chicken and Broccoli



During the week leading up to our triathlon, which was the first Sunday in May (yes, I know I'm behind...), I tried to come up with dishes with healthy carbohydrates and lean protein.  Marshall had something similar in mind and told me he was interested in some kind of pasta dish with chicken and maybe broccoli.  Well, he just named 3 of some of my very favorite things, so it was easy to come up with a dish that would definitely satisfy.  However, my history has demonstrated that I'm not the greatest when it comes to thinking up dishes.  My sister is actually really good at just throwing things in a pot and coming up with something really yummy; my mom is the same way.  I suppose it comes from experience, but I am much more comfortable going along with a recipe.  In any case, I took on the challenge and actually came up with a really tasty pasta dish that I will try to replicate again.  I wasn't taking notes when I was cooking (I was, and still am, a horrible note-taker), so I'll do my best to explain how I made this dish.

I went to the store and picked out the main ingredients:  chicken breast (2, boneless/skinless), broccoli (about 3 crowns), and a box of penne (yes, I realize I could've made an even healthier dish with whole wheat pasta, but part of me really loves that plain semolina pasta flavor).  I decided to pick up a lemon or two, thinking lemon goes great with chicken no matter what.  The rest of the ingredients I had at home:  red pepper flakes, Italian herb seasoning, and olive oil.  Oh yeah, you can't forget the cheese, but I always have cheese in the house.  The day I made this dish, I was working from home, so I took advantage of the extra time and decided to marinate the chicken.  I seasoned the chicken, which I had cut up into bite-sized pieces (about 1-2" big) with salt and pepper, then placed it in a tupperware container.  I liberally sprinkled the Italian herb seasoning (definitely the no-salt kind; I shouldn't have to tell you that) on top, then added some smashed garlic cloves.  Over-top I drizzled a liberally helping of olive oil and then took the juice of one lemon and poured that on for the final flourish.  I put on the top of the container, shook well, then placed in the fridge for about 45 minutes.  When it came to cooking the chicken, I took a very simple approach.  I heated up some olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat, and added some more crushed garlic.  After about a minute, I sprinkled a healthy dose of red pepper flakes and cooked those a bit with the garlic.  Then I threw in the chicken with its juice, and cooked until opaque.  As I was prepping the broccoli, I noticed a jar in the back of our fridge.  A coworker of mine, had Marshall and I over for dinner a few weeks prior and gave us a jar of preserved Meyer lemons.  I had looked for a few recipes using it, but until then had not come up with anything to use these lemons.  Then I thought, "hmm, you know, these might work here...".  Preserved lemons have a much softer peel and Meyer lemons are known for their thin layer of pith and tender skin.  You can easily cut them up into small pieces and cook them and they're great to eat skin and all.  I did the same here:  I took a half of a preserved lemon, cut it into small pieces and threw them into the pan with the chicken.  You could replicate this flavor by adding some chopped pieces of peeled lemon or by simply sprinkling some lemon juice over the chicken while it cooks.  What came out was a delicious dish with a bright lemony flavor.  Plus, it had broccoli in it, which, in my book, is always a plus!



Lemony Chicken and Broccoli with Penne Pasta
Serves about 4

2 Boneless and Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into 1"-2" pieces
6 Cloves of Garlic, crushed and divided
1-1/2 Teaspoons of Italian Seasoning
1 Lemon, juiced
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil

1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil
1-2 Teaspoons of Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
1/2 Preserved Meyer Lemon, cut into small pieces (optional) -OR- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
2-3 Crowns of Broccoli, cut into florettes
1/2-3/4 Pounds of Penne Pasta (or any other shape pasta you like)

1.  Add the chicken, 3 cloves of crushed garlic, Italian seasoning, lemon juice, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil into a tupperware container or bowl, mix well, and cover.  Place in the fridge for about 30-45 minutes.
2.  Start a large pot of salted water to boil.  Add the pasta.  Cook about three-quarters of the way (according to the package instructions) and add broccoli to the water.  Finish cooking pasta, in that time the broccoli should be adequately cooked, as well.  Drain well and set aside.
3.  Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.  Add the remaining crushed garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Add red pepper flakes and sauté for an additional minute.  Add in the marinated chicken pieces, plus the marinade, into the pan and cook until opaque (roughly 10 minutes, if that). If using, add in the Meyer lemon pieces and heat through.
4.  Toss chicken with pasta and broccoli and serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

bon appetit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment